Smoking a Beef Tenderloin

Talk about anything related to grilling. Share your favorite recipes and grilling tips. Got a question about a Hasty-Bake product? Ask here!

Smoking a Beef Tenderloin

Postby WordsToRibeye » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I am smoking an 8 lb Beef Tenderloin on my HB this weekend for a big group. I have never smoked a beef tenderloin, but I understand they can be really tasty if done correctly. I don't plan on doing much seasoning...probably just salt, pepper, and oil. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm trying to figure out how long to cook it, and if I need to sear it, etc.
Any help would be much appreciated!
WordsToRibeye

Re: Smoking a Beef Tenderloin

Postby oldskoolHB » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 am

Mmmmmm and pricey. Your on the right track with simple seasoning. Make sure you remove the silver skin and chain, if not already done by the butcher. I will usually roll it on a cutting board and the chain (odd shaped long piece of meat that runs parallel to the main tenderloin) will start to pull away from the loin. Then I'll use a sharp knife to cut just under the silver skin (you will see silver fibers on one side of the loin that run parallel to the loin) and gently trim it away from the loin. Be gentle because you don't want to tear up the meat, just remove the tough fibers. Coat in olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper. Get your HB fired up and ready to sear, just like a steak. I lay it on the grill at a 45 degree angle to the grates, ( i like the angled sear marks on the meat), close the lid for 2-3 minutes, then roll it over to sear the other sides. I usually sear it on "4" sides so that it has good color all the way around. Then add some hickory wood, and lower the fire. You can move the meat off to the side away from the fire if you have a large unit, or put on the heat deflector if you have a small one. Then smoke it around 225 until the internal temp gets to about 140 degress, (usually takes an hour to 1.5 hrs) to serve it medium rare, to 150 internal temp for mostly medium. Let it rest for 8-10 minutes on a cutting board. I slice it into 1/8-1/4 inch medallions. Its more done on the ends and more rare closer to the center. Let me know how it goes, we like pictures! I don't have any pictures of a tender loin, only the loin, but color should be about the same! The attached picture is a beef and pork loin.
Attachments
beef&porkloin.JPG
oldskoolHB

Postby swalker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Dang Adam....you need to add that to one of the cooking classes!!
swalker

Postby WordsToRibeye » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Thanks oldskool! I'm looking forward to this! Will post pictures when I'm done...
WordsToRibeye

Postby WordsToRibeye » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Just put the sear on my beef tenderloin, and it's smokin now...
Beef Tenderloin.jpg

The tenderloin was already cut in half, for storing purposes, when it was delivered to me. But I'm not complaining! I will keep everyone posted on how it turns out.
WordsToRibeye

Postby kcurran » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:44 am

Dang Adam....you need to add that to one of the cooking classes!!

Or just any given Monday!Today would be a good one!
kcurran

Postby oldskoolHB » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks great! Good sear lines. Any pics of the finished product?
oldskoolHB

Postby WordsToRibeye » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:02 pm

Sorry, no pics of the finished product. I smoked it for 1.5 hours and it turned out great. Everyone devoured it within minutes! Thanks for the pointers, oldskool
WordsToRibeye

Return to General Grilling Discussion